Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Kibler's '09 Scapular Summit

Dr. Ben Kibler is an orthopedist from Lexington Kentucky USA. Would love to meet him someday. There are not many orthopedists who understand function more than him. This is his third international summit on the scapulothoracic joint.

In the coming weeks I'll be commenting on some of the highlights. Several of the presentations focused on the neuromuscular issue of the upper trap overpowering the mid/lower & the scapular dyskinesis that goes with it. I was a little disappointed all the solutions appeared to be isolated ones. Most of the exercises look like manual muscle testing positions.

I'm not sure what percentage of my functional approach has been scientifically driven, and how much comes from the population I work with. Remember I work with the adolescent population who by nature just cannot sit still; with a wide variety of learning disabilities mixed in. Getting them to lie down, put their elbow here, shoulder over there etc is just not going to happen.

At GAIN '10 I presented some of my ideas of how I approach the trap issue. It sure looked a lot different than what was presented at the scap summit. It's kind of paradoxical how my almost 30 years of experience in one job has enriched me in so many ways, yet boxed me in so many others.

3 comments:

JH said...

Joe,

My mentor worked at teh Lexington sports med clinic when I was in the AT program at Asbury College. As AT students we got to do quite a bit of work at the clinic. Yes, lots of what was developed there was isolated movements not integrating the core/LE. However my mentor and a PT there were starting to develop SL standing core exercises at the time, much of which looks a lot like the Gary Gray reactive core exercises where he has the athlete reach behind the head. I was fortunate enough to be the "exercise model" used during previous lower extremity summits back in the 90s. I was hooked up to the EMG machine and performed exercises so the participants could see the feedback. I did have Dr. Kibler eval my shoudler for baseball, I was a pitcher. I was having problems with it and still do. He gave me the green light that everything was ok but it wasn't then and it's not now. The impression I got was that I wasn't important enogh of an athlete for him to take seriously. He was probably right.

Thanks for sharing !!

Joe Przytula said...

quite a contrast from my experience with Louie Bigliani in NY. Hangs on every word you say, doesn't make a difference if you are a Yankee or some worker off the street.

Thanks for the Kibler insight. Strange approach, given his "scapular funnel" concept he developed 10 years ago. That's why this "kitchen chemistry" stuff is so important.

JH said...

I specifically remember an ATC there was working on ways to get the rhomboid strengthened. he was convinced that rhomboid strength was the key to scap stabilization. He did a lot of "lawn mower pulls" that did not incorporate the LE very much. However now we know it's more about what you feed into the scap musculature. The whole force closure thing you talk abuot that I stil don't know if I understand as well as I should.