Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Enough already!

Look, I don't want to beat this core stabilizaton thing to death, but Hodges work in 90's was misinterpreted! Thats not me saying it- it's Doctor Hodges himself!!:

The lumbar multifidus: Does the evidence support clinical beliefs? Manual Therapy, Volume 11, Issue 4, Pages 254-263 D. MacDonald, G. Lorimer Moseley, P. Hodges 2007

“Although there is support for the importance of the lumbar multifidus and the specific contribution of this muscle to intervertebral control, several of the clinical beliefs have little or no support “.

Feedforward Responses of Transversus Abdominis Are Directionally Specific
and Act Asymmetrically: Implications for Core Stability Theories, JOSPT 5/08

"bilateral activation of the TrA in isolation does not reflect the normal
motor pattern for rapid unilateral ballistic patterns of movement and, therefore, future research may examine if such training may detrain individuals who require such fast actions (eg, elite athletes).”

There is an article in the NSCA's "journal of strength & conditioning" this month that makes the statement, "development of the core is accomplished first through ISOMETRIC STABILITY with progression to multi joint movements involving the hip, torso, and scapular region". Readers of my blog know I believe in the concept of a "reactive core". One that emphasises training in the "zones of transformation"; that is when the body is switching directions and injuries occur. There is nothing wrong with doing isometric bracing movements (planks et al). As long as it is understood they occur in a neutral zone. A truly strong core is one that can take a direct blow, protect us from falls, as well as coordiate the upper & lower extremities in a fluid, coordinated manner.

The article makes references to Hodges original work in the 90's. I think that's where this "rigid pillar" isometric-style core gets it's origin. I know Doctor Eyal Lederman of London's Center for Professional Development in Osteopathy (www.cpdo.net/myth_of_core_stability.doc) occasionally tunes into this blog. If you're out there doctor, I'd really appreciate your opinion on this.

4 comments:

JH said...

Woe! Heavy stuff Joe. IF I were a drinker I might have to have a cold one or two after reading all that. :)

I couldn't agree with you more.
This past summer I was invited to a volleyball clinic to show the campers some things they could do at home using just their body weight. The camp director wanted me to show them how to tighten their abs when in the serve recieve position. My response was just what you are saying Joe!! Their core will do what it needs to do when it needs to do it if it hasn't been trained not to do it.

Thanks for the great stuff Joe!!

PS I read Prof. Lederman's Aricle...took me all day. (between patients)

Joe Przytula said...

if I may paraphrase what you said:

-to do is to be: Voltaire
-to be is to do: Socratese
-do be do be do: Sinatra, and that is the essence of the core.

JH said...

LOL!!

I love Sinatra.

RAS said...

Hi Joe --

I am an HS in So. IL and just getting into the S&C scene and just wanted to make sure I am understanding you correctly w/ how I approach this:

Most HS athletes don't even know what core is and have done nothing to address it - so I look at doing the neutral positions first then adding movement when they are able to perform w/o help and w/ little-no difficulty. I also try to mimic play situations, but could use more help - Does Mr. Gambetta address these types of scenarios w/ his routines? Thanks.