Monday, November 2, 2009

Doctor Coughlan's comment

Hey Garrett-never connected the dots that it was you! But I know great research when I see it. Thanks for attacking a complex issue the way only a Celt can. You say:

"we need to focus not only on the ankle but also huge emphasis on the proximal musculature/joints and the coordination of movement between the shank and rearfoot."

Which was what I was getting at with rotational squat/glute inhibition question. That squat would unlock the foot & load the soft tissue. If it was compromised by trauma, then I think it's safe to conclude we're not getting the proprioceptive input up the chain. The answer lies somewhere in a combination of both- restoring soft tissue integrity/mobility at the ankle, and addressing the proximal issues.

I think what you're alluding to suggests a shift to the more functional styles of joint mobes that integrate U-LE, ie Mulligan & FMR. Then the next step; what do we do about the soft tissue integrity? I've just begun using Graston. I know Stacy Walker, A.T. professor at Ball State is a reader of my blog. They do a lot of Graston research. If you're out there Stacy I would really appreciate your comments.

No comments: