Monday, June 8, 2009

Juan Ruiz- Tagle asked a couple good questions I thought deserved a post:

1. In a team of a very competitive athlete, what percentage of those athlete would you expect that would get permanent injuries (labral tears, meniscus tears, rotator cuff tears, spinal dysfunctions, etc.) and in your opinion what is acceptable part of the sports and what is just poor coaching?
*In 27 years of baseball I've never had a labral tear (shoulder) or a rotator cuff tear. Maybe 5 ACL constructions from soccer/football in that time frame. About the same for meniscus tears. However, probably hundreds of aching backs. None serious, all got better with some rest, massage, rehab etc.
I'm sure that is way below the norm for a high school program as huge as ours. I can only take a small part of the credit for that. I have been privileged to work with some great coaches.
I'm not sure Juan what is avoidable & what isn't. I do know that many take certain injuries for granted, that are definitely preventable. "Shin splints" are preventable. (most) Hypermobile shoulders in swimmers & throwers are preventable. (most) non contact ACL tares. (most) hamstring strains. Athletic hernias.
Hip labrum tares? That is a matter of opinion, I say probably.
2. Do you stop the athlete from playing for a while and rehabilitate or do you rehabilitate without taking time off ?
*it depends. But, if there is any possible way I can keep an athlete in competition, I'll do it. In the inner city, there is the risk of an athlete with an injury "disappearing" from you & the team. It is not physically, nor psychologically good for the athlete to be separated from his team. If I can reasonably tape, brace, or softcast something, I'll do it. Ultimately, it depends on what they look like functionally by way of objective testing. I think that is one of the things that separates athletic training from physical therapy.
Bueno topic Juan- I'll comment on your last few blog posts in the coming weeks.

1 comment:

Juan Ruiz-Tagle said...

Thank you so much for your answer, I really appreciate it.