Wednesday, November 19, 2008

From the AP news wire:

http://apnews.excite.com/article/20081117/D94GTED80.html
As you read on, will see yet another nod for "regional interdependance" (the kinetic link principle). High school A.T.'s- this is something we can help prevent. Repeat the mantra here: there is no such thing as "just a sprained ankle". Resist the urge to slap some tape on them and send them back to the field.

I just had a former athlete visit me last night with chronic knee pain. I worked with him early last year for a wicked deltoid/spring ligament tear on the opposite ankle. I had to give myself a pat on the back when I saw how good that ankle looked. His history revealed an injury to the ipsilateral ankle this past August. His rehab consisted of ice, seated band exercises, and tape. Upon evaluation, his mid tarsal joint was all locked up. The ankle was not painful however. It simply borrowed transverse & frontal plane motion from the knee.

Protocols are helpful, but rehab it as you see it. Every ankle sprain is a little different.

No comments: