Saturday, April 23, 2011

Take a look and let me know what you think

Thanks to Vern on the heads up on this.  It is a free kinematic analysis tool.  This could be very useful.  The only problem is, the way I understand, you would first need to build a calibration structure.  And, that structure would need to be placed where you plan to do the filming.  So, it would be best for those who have a dedicated area put aside for this purpose.  What do you think of the idea of building a portable one that you could take apart and put back together?  Would it be worth the effort?  Otherwise, I wouldn't even have the room to store something like that.  Oh, one annoying thing.  You have to convert your video into .avi before you can download it.  Weird but do-able.

http://video4coach.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=13&Itemid=4

3 comments:

Brian Green said...

Very interesting...finishing corrections on my PhD which part of it was using an active based marker system for motion capture. Give me a few days I'll let ya know. I imagine the boys over at Dartfish would not be too happy about this...

Brian Green said...

Had a look at it...Seems a little tedious putting in the coordinates and of course building the calibration contraption. I guess the question is what exactly is it going to provide that your 2 eyes do not? Yes, quantitative information may be helpful, however, your eyes will pick up a female with femoral and tibial displacement that may be detrimental to the knee as well as this system. Clinically I think there are simpler methods to observe motion. I know of another free software package called Kinovea.
http://www.kinovea.org/en/

Joe Przytula said...

Thanks for the input Brian- I will check out that website.