Thursday, October 9, 2008

Chiropractors

I'm often asked what I think about chiropractors. Well, I definitely don't buy into the Palmer theory (most chiropractors don't either). However, I am a big believer in manual therapy. Although I have certificates in many manual therapy techniques, I am the first to point out that I am not a manual therapist. Meaning, I don't have a traditional degree from an academic institution in manual therapy. A chiropractor does. During my soft tissue courses, I had the pleasure of being instructed by and training with chiropractors. I was amazed at how much better their palpation skills & sense of touch was then my own. They really raised the bar for me, and I am grateful.
Much like athletic training, the chiropractic also suffers from credibility issues. They get paid much less by insurance companies for doing the same thing a P.T. does. The internet is loaded with information accusing them of medical quackery and insurance fraud. To be honest, I started out as a skeptic myself. Then I began to read some of their research in The Journal of Bodywork & movement Therapies. I quickly realized they were on to something and I had better get on board before I got left behind. Ken Cieslack, who works in Teaneck High School here in NJ, is an ATC & chiropractor. I am jealous.
The credibility issue is over, as far as I'm concerned. The efficacy of spinal manipulation has been documented in the research journals ad nauseum. Most of the complaints I've heard from A.T.'s have to do with chiro's being "too pushy", getting involved in gray area's like pre season physicals or nutrition. Stick to the manual therapy you guys. You were the first, as far as I know, to have a degree program in manual therapy & manipulation- and you are the best at it.

No comments: